8.04.2005


Washington Bound part 1
The word is on the street. I am negotiating with my former Redmond, WA employer for a grand return. Some of you already know this, and others might be surprised. Didn't I say I wanted to be a professor? I do love teaching, yes, but the life in the ivory tower is a bit more demanding...

The short explanation is this - professors work long hours, and have busy summers attempting to catch up on research projects. If I could change the world so that professors work ~40 hours a week, have relaxed summers that allow for ample free time and weekend getaways, rarely have to write a research grant, and almost never have to author a research paper, then I would sign up immediately. Alas, reality does not match my ideal.

Hence, I will return to a job that was interesting enough, paid well enough, and provided sufficient moolah to enjoy life. While we have been getting by on a paltry sum for the past two years, I think we realize that we need a little more to allow for travel, education for Emy, and a house we can mold or build to fit our goals of green living. And, we miss the mountains. Just look at that picture of Mount Rainier - doesn't it call to you?

For our friends out in Washington - we can't wait to see you again for climbing, hiking, camping, snow sports, Thai food, and Canadian getaways. For our friends in Minnesota - we'll visit often, or maybe you'd like to move to one of the best places in the country? We will do our best to set you up, or at least serve as a guide to the area.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey we're glad to hear you guys are coming back! It just so happens we have a 1 bedroom condo for rent (but it's a BIG bedroom)! Kismet? Mike says not only will he help you move in, you will also be close enough to commute with (or ride you bike if you so choose).