3.09.2008

A Few Millimeters Makes a Difference, and the 40 km TT Test for March

I noticed that after the two time trial races I was inordinately tired in the quadriceps and not so tired in the hamstrings, which runs pretty counter to what most racers report, and to what is ideal. So I decided to make a position change. I first moved my right cleat backward 2mm (foot forward 2mm relative to the pedal) since I'd been feeling a bit too "on my toes" with the right foot - I switched over to Speedplay pedals AND got new shoes last Summer, and have been tweaking the cleat position ever since. And, I moved my saddle back from a setback of 5.4 cm (distance between the front of the saddle and a plumb line running through the center of the bottom bracket) to 6.0 cm, and lowered the saddle by a couple of mm. This should, in theory, emphasize the hamstrings, glutes, and calf muscles more than the previous "high and forward" position. The difference is shocking, in a very good way. I'm not sure I could have used this position last year, but since I have been diligently stretching every day, and can now get my knuckles on the floor doing the classic "touch your toes" stretch, it isn't a problem. And geez - I am so much faster, and I am not nearly as tired in the legs after a hard ride. Mind you, my position before was acceptable, and maybe even "correct" for the velodrome, but the improvment in my speed, power, and comfort is amazing.

Case in point - the 40 km TT test for March
In last month's 40 km TT test, I managed to keep my HR at an average of 150-155 bpm for the 40 km loop around Lake Sammamish from our place, and completed 40 km in 1:13:00. Friday this last week I did a "race simulation" training ride, as I wasn't going to be in a race this weekend (I had planned on one today, but between a sick daughter and a sick cat, it just wasn't in my mind) - after a ride in the morning before work, and a warm up after work, I did two 15 mile loops with two long hills, one gradual, and one steep at a zone 3-4 HR of 150-168 with only some recovery on the downhills. For both loops, I managed to maintain 26-30 mph on the flats, and I climbed the gradual (5-7%) hill between 17-20 mph - these numbers alone indicated my new position was an improvement. In fact, on the flat sections, I was averging better than in either the Icebreaker or the Frostbite TT (oh, if only I had known to change my position sooner!) for over half the length of either TT, with no aero equipment.

Saturday I did an easier ride with one long hill, with a high cadence, and today it was time for the fitness test for March.

I dressed lightly, with arm warmers and leg warmers, knowing I was bound to get warm on the short hills - plus it was in the 50's with only a mild South wind. I did the same easier first 10 minutes as last month's test, and then wound it up to whatever speed was comfortable with a heart rate of 150-155 bpm. Today the speed at 150 bpm was 2-3 mph faster than last month, and even after 20 of the 24.8 miles I knew I was going to blow away my old time.

I completed the 24.8 miles (40 km) in exactly 1:08:00, five minutes faster than last month! So, the training is working, and the position has improved. It's also very nice knowing that if I allowed my HR to rise closer to race levels, I could break an hour for 40 km, solo.

The next race is this coming Sunday - the Market Street Road Race (PDF file). I can't wait!

Overall averages for February
I had planned on getting closer to 12-15 hours per week, but realized the only way this was going to happen was if I cut out running one day a week. I cut out the running for two weeks, but after the advice of a teammate who is wholeheartedly into cyclocross, I have added it back in. This means I will probably only manage 10-12 hours a week on the bike, but that's fine, especially if my primary goals are at the velodrome and in the fall. The numbers are lower than last month, but hey, February only has 29 days this year!

Bicycle
Time: 33:21:00
Distance: 596.9 miles
Longest Ride: 68.9 miles, 3:59:00 (while sick)
Rest days: 7, including illness

Running
Time: 1:01:00
Distance: 7.5 miles
Longest Run: 2.5 miles

No comments: