7.31.2008

FSA Grand Prix was huge, and the 'Cross Bike is on its way

I had a blast at the FSA Grand Prix, our biggest national-level track event at Marymoor of the season. One of my major motivators for upgrading to a Cat 3 this season on the track was just so I could participate. And then, the organizers were kind enough to include separate Cat 3 racing on Friday night, so I wasn't forced to "just hang in there" with the Cat 1,2's, although, I was looking forward to the challenge. Friday morning I did the 4 km pursuit. This is a time trial event, where typically you are started on the opposite side of the track from another rider, and you "chase" each other (pusuit) in addition to trying to get a fast time for 4 km, which is 10 laps at Marymoor. Unfortunately for me, I was in the first heat. Doubly unfortunate, my pursuit-ee pointed out he was registered for the Master's 3k pursuit, not the 4k. Since ti was just about start time, they said I would be going by myself. Ugh! There goes my carrot!

I got to the start block after a couple of times around the warm up circle. They had announced earlier that we were to get a demo of the electronic beeping gizmo so we knew when to start. I was held for the start, ready to go, but relaxed as the beeper starting counting down "beep...beep...beep...beep...Bong!" I didn't move, and the holder didn't let go, but the shocked look on the official's face, as he said "That's your start!" was priceless. I started pedaling at full gusto, about 5 seconds late, yelling, "You said we would get a demo!!!" I made it through turn one, and then they fired the gun twice to tell me the race was over. So, I had to return to the start for another go. Not a false start for me, but now my legs were feeling a bit of lactic acid after the burst. Anyway, I got a clean start, and was grunting it as best I could (but not full gas, since I still had ten laps to go)

(I think my arms look pumped)

I managed to keep the tempo pretty even for the full ten laps. First lap was at around 28 mph with the middle eight around 27.5 and the final back up to 28 mph.

(Daddy needs a fancy pointy helmet, says Emy)

My time was 1 second under my goal of 5:30, with a 5:29. My time actually stuck on top of the leader board through the next heat, with two other Cat 3's, but was shortly thereafter dropped and dropped. Ultimately, I was in 3rd from last, with the fastest time of 4:47 set by last year's collegiate national champion in the pursuit. He would have gotten a lap and a half past me if we had been in a heat together. Clearly I have some work to do!

Friday night I was still feeling tired from the pursuit, even though it was a paltry ten laps, but had a great time in the events.

In the first race, a 10 lap scratch race, my teammate Mark was sacrificing himself with an attack with two laps to go, me on his wheel. The hope was to launch me for a solo bridge to a lone breakaway, whom I would pass, and take the win. All this was moot, though, with a heinous crash in the middle fo the pack that took out three riders. In the end they were OK, and able to get off the track under their own power. My scars throbbed in sympathy when I heard the all-too-familiar sound of bikes hitting bikes and flesh hitting the track. Now comes the crazy part. The officials decided to start us "where we left off" which meant the solo rider was to start with 5 seconds advantage, with the pack following. We were supposed to do a neutral lap, maintaining this gap, until we got back around to the start line, where the race would continue with two laps to go. Well, the solo rider had been dying out there, slowing down considerably, but with the ten minute break of the crash, he was fresh, and was able to stay away easily. Many of us were bummed by the result, but we couldn't fault the winner.

The second race was an unknown distance race, which ended up at 7 laps. I was moving up rapidly on the 6th lap, only to be cut off by some young man who was riding dangerously, cutting people off, and generally freaking us out. It was a bummer, since I think I could have done well, but I ended up with nothing. Neither did Mr Cut-us-off, either, of course, since he sucked. Annoying!

The last race was to be a 5x5 points race, but given that it was already 10:45 PM, they shortened it to 4x5. The race was over in a flash, and while I was active, I didn't manage to score any points. Note to self - if the field size is around 30 riders, it is really hard to make up the full distance from the back of the pack to the front during a sprint. This tactic normally works when the field is around 20, but I would keep making it up to about 5-10th position, outside the points.

But, hey, I didn't go down, and I had fun. I got home at 12:02 AM, completely spent. I had planned on the 1 km time trial (2.5 laps, a.k.a. the "Kilo") the next day, but was just too tired to even consider it. Too bad too, the lap times I was pulling in training, about 1:15, would have netted me a decent placing (not in the money, but just outside it).

Cross Bike is Coming!
I ordered a 2009 Redline Conquest Pro last week. It should be here and built by sometime next week. I can't wait!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, bike racers truly do not gain fitness, they gain excuses. And no, a 1.15 would not just have been just outside the money in the kilo, it is a truly sucky kilo time at a faster track like marymoor---look at the stats from fsa from any year.