9.29.2008

Seattle Cyclocross #1 - Evergreen HS

What a super-fun course for the opening of the Seattle cross series. It was grassy, with lots of twists and turns, some sand, and a just-right run up. The weather was a decidedly un-cross-like sunny, in the low 70's. I managed to pre-ride the bulk of the course thrice, which definitely helped me during the actual race. I also discovered it was right next to a disc golf course I've played twice with my work team mates.

Before my race, though, Emy got to do a kids race:

Unlike me in my race, she lined up at the back

But, she still had a great time, and managed to pass a few. She was a bit weirded out by a girl who crashed in the first turn around the dirt running track (the venue for the kids race - no barriers this time), and took a while to get her gumption back. As long as she's having fun, we're happy!

My race went pretty well - I lined up in the 2nd row, as Jeff thought we were to go off at 1:10. Turns out it was actually the posted 1:20, so we sat and baked in the sun for twenty minutes before the race finally began. But, as Jeff said, "At least you're in the 2nd row."

I did manage to clip in right away and took off with a decent sprint, but I was a bit wary of the riders who wering all over the place on the dirt track (and a small crash I avoided) before we hit the grass. It was a short couple turns before the sandy run up, and I took the right hand side, where the ground was firmer. I regained about ten places on the run up, since it was that much better ground. The rest of the course was pretty straightforward, except for a sandy hard left that would be my nemesis for laps 3, 5 and 6 (last lap). I crashed on each of those laps in the sand, losing places each time. I regained all those places and more during the rest of the course, and by the last lap I was sitting in 32nd position.

My goal was to finish in the top 50%. But that sandy corner shot my goal. I dropped my chain and the nine riders I had worked so hard to pass earlier in the lap cruised by me as I got the chain back on.

I rolled in, a bit dejected, in 42nd place. There were 61 starters. I was pretty pissed, but it's hard to stay mad when Emy meets me with a smile at the finish, telling me I did a great job. My lap times were closer to the leaders, less than 40 seconds off per lap, but the laps were faster and shorter, so I still have a ways to go.

Here are a few pictures:

Early in the course. You can see the run-up in the background.
Yes, all those guys are in front of me...

However, I caught and passed everyone in the picture who is not running...
until I crashed, and they passed me


This side was definitely best...and the run-up
was nothing compared to one in the Rad Racing GP


a fun part of the course, shortly after the sand-pit corner


about to start another lap, just after the finish line, later in the race


My team mate Jeff, who took 2nd,
doing some nice synchronized dismounting with the eventual winner


I love this picture of the spot just before the barriers.
If you look closely, you'll see that only my front tire is touching the ground.
Both feet are airborne, as is the rear tire. I'm floating!


Poor Chip had yet another mechanical issue - this time a rolled rear tire.
But, he managed to get to the pit, swap wheels, and still passed me later in the race.



My family are the best super-fans!

I'm so purturbed by the chain coming off (3rd time this season, over the course of five events) that I just ordered up a single ring setup from Excel sports (Cyclocrossworld.com says they are out-of-stock).

I also discovered that I've been riding with too-narrow handlebars (no wonder breathing seems a bit tougher, and my back and neck are unhappy), so I ordered up some new bars as well.

No race for the next weekend for me, and it is a "rest week", so it should be a good time to tinker with the bike and get it set up for more racing.

No comments: