11.29.2007

iPod or Zune?

Can you make a choice, if you care about the Environment?
I was all set to get (OK, ask for) a 4GB iPod Nano, but I dared to Google "environmental impact iPod Zune". Ignoring the war of words going on between Greenpeace and Apple, it is still true that neither company has a satisfactory record on avoiding the use of toxic plastics, mercury, etc in the devices. In the case of Apple, they have announced they will clean up by 2008, while Microsoft is all the way out to 2011. You could argue that by getting one of these devices I will significantly reduce my environmental impact if I buy music through their online stores - avoiding the need for jewel cases, plastic wrap, ... Maybe I should just wait for 2008 and see what Apple does. At least they have a recycling program in place already.

No comments: