12.27.2007

It's so hard not to ride!

So, even though I didn't have a full racing season this last year, I felt I should still take the requisite, but dreaded "time off the bike" to refresh the body and mind. Many racers make this take anywhere from two weeks to a month, but the best I can ever do is a week. Sure, I'd use my bike for commuting to work, but I also have this week off work, so it truly is no riding for me. I actually managed to do no exercise at all for three days, but it helped that we had the in-laws visiting for Christmas, and the weather has been awful. I did do something I haven't done in a while - I went for a run. I used to run regularly, and when I was a climber I ran to get some aerobic fitness, but it's been at least 6 months since I ran more than when chasing Emy on her bicycle (which these days requires a full sprint). I've been a runner enough of my life to know that the first run after a hiatus usually sucks. This time it was surprisingly different. I ran a flat 3 mile loop, mostly on gravel and dirt, and managed it in 21:36. Not a stellar 5k time, but not too bad, and my heart rate never got over 140 bpm. However, that was two days ago and my quads still hurt! It isn't awful, but I definitely used some muscles that have been getting lazy.

I'll have to keep this up, though, in order to be ready for cyclocross season next September. I may have to incorporate running into my once-a-week "rest day", or get in a lunchtime run at work. Luckily, I don't have to do anything other than maintenance of the runner in me, until maybe July, when I'll have to get in some sprints and hill-run-ups in prep for cross.

In other news, I reorganized the garage to prepare for the new bikes this season. I'll be getting a track bike, road bike, and cross bike. We already have a road bike for Bree, and a small bike for Emy, so the garage is going to be pushed to the limit. We still have to have room for the bike repair stand, workbench, and all the other "stuff that lives in the garage" - luckily Bree scored some free closet organizer parts on craigslist, and I am pleased with the results.

Along those lines, I am now selling the blue track bike that I posted about back in July 2005 (craigslist ad), in order to make room for the new bikes. I'll sell my Felt road bike too, but not until I have the new one, or I'd be bike-less! I think that would make me lose my mind.

I'm living vicariously through the guys over at EuroCross Camp. Unlikely I will ever get the chance to do what they are doing, but if there's any way I can get good enough at cross to make a trip to Europe in order to race, I will do it in a heartbeat. This morning I made Liege Waffles in order to feel more Belgian. They were awesome, probably owing to the 1/2 stick of butter per waffle! (making it even more difficult not to ride just to burn the calories).

I'll probably get in some more waffles while volunteering this weekend at Kringle Kross, which looks to be the final cross race of the season here in Seattle.

Emy and I are sad that the weather forecast keeps calling for snow, but we've had nary a flake, except for a few on Christmas that melted when they hit the ground.

No comments: