12.31.2007

Last ride of the year 2007, and goodbye to a friend

Yesterday I helped out with registration for Kringle Kross (Team Zoka's last volunteering gig before we become Cucina Fresca). It was not warm. I wore the poofy jacket, and at one point I thought I was warm, so I took it off, but within 5 minutes I needed it again. However, I was constantly aware of the liability of wearing a nylon/down jacket with a blasting propane heater about 3 feet behind me. It helped keep us warm, but there was enough melted clothing evidence presented by others working the event to keep me nervous the whole time. The race was not very well attended, which isn't too surprising, but the racers appeared to be having a good time. Christine from our team took 3rd in the women's 4's, and I believe Ian (a.k.a. DiRtY, although I might have the capitalization wrong) was top 10 in the 3's, which will be my group next year. I stuck around for about half of the elite race, but I was generally cold and worn out from hanging out since 7 AM. Plus, Bree and Emy were patiently waiting for me to come home!

This morning I woke up and made waffles, and then met a buyer for the blue bike. He rode it for about 50 feet, and said, "I'll take it!" It was the easiest craigslist sale I've ever managed. Now there is a very empty space in the garage, which makes me sad. It is always difficult to let go of a bike, since I always have such a fond psychosomatic response just by looking at a bicycle. Any bicycle, really, but with my own, it's like I can remember every ride I've ever had on it, all in a rush of both exhilaration and exhaustion. Luckily I still have a road bike. This sale in no way compared to when I sold my favorite Bianchi when we lived in St Paul and needed money. At the time, it was my only ride, but having $2500 collecting dust in the garage wasn't worth it. I really better write that post about the graduate school years of bike racing, in order to fill in the blanks between mountain bike racing and the sale of the aforementioned Bianchi. Soon!

I waited a couple of hours for the sun to provide a bit more heat, and then officially ended the week-long break from riding. Thanks to Kringle Kross, I actually made it to 8 days, which must be a record "break of my own choosing". I was hoping to get in at least 40 miles today, especially to take advantage of the sunny weather and 40+ F temps. I had a lovely 43.5 mile jaunt, with a surprising lack of wind (there are hardly ever "calm" winds here in Seattle), and even got warm enough to take off my jacket.

Tomorrow is the first ride of 2008, and the beginning of training for the season. I'll do my best to make this, the fourth time I have taken up road racing, memorable!

Farewell, blue bike - I hope you enjoy your next rider and don't miss my feet, hands, and butt cheeks too much! Don't be too jealous of my new ride...

No comments: