10.15.2008

While sick, I read

So, I've been moping around, not riding my bike, which is very hard. Yesterday I tried to get Bree to go for an easy ride with me, only to change my mind and fall asleep on the couch.

I've been reading. Right now I am in Seierstad's The Bookseller of Kabul, which is very good. I just finished the second book in Sharon Kay Penman's medieval mystery series, The Queen's Man. Now, I am trying to follow my usual plan of reading a couple of books by recent Nobel winners, when it is award season. This plan led me to Naipul's A Bend in the River and Saramago's Blindness a few years back, which is still one of my favorite books. I'm still on the fence as to if I will see the movie. So, I started Orhan Pamuk's Istanbul, but memoirs often fail to grab me, and was true for this one. I'm going to try reading Snow, or maybe My Name is Red. Unfortunately, this year's winner Le Clezio has few works in Engish, but I will start with The Wandering Star and wait for a translation of Desert. I'm going to add Lessing's The Golden Notebook and The Fifth Child to my library list too. Bree is reading the Oates books I checked out, The Tattooed Girl and The Gravedigger's Daughter. No, Oates hasn't won the prize, but has often been mentioned as a potential winner, so maybe I can get ahead of the game.

That ought to carry me for a while. I'll keep reading all of Penman's works in the meantime. I love historical fiction, particularly of medieval times.

No comments: