10.15.2008

How do you stop a rhinovirus from...? Seattle Cyclocross #2, S SeaTac

I'm down for the count with a nasty cold. I started feeling it last weekend, on Saturday, but in infinite wisdom, I still raced on Sunday at the second race of the Seattle Cyclocross series. I had already paid, and I consoled myself with the idea that I would just drop out if I felt too sick to continue.

Check out the hot new skinsuit
- just for the cross racers on Cucina Fresca



I'm not very talented at giving up, so I soldiered on through the race, weak and slightly addled in the head. At the start line I thought "maybe I won't be TOO slow?", but as soon as the race began, and I "sprinted" while everyone else actually sprinted, I knew my hopes for a decent finish were dashed. It sucked, since I finally feel like I am getting the handle of the racing, although SeaTac is never going to be my best course. Maybe if I spend a lot of time riding singletrack I could improve, but really I am much better at the "actual" cyclocross courses, as in, ones that meet the rules for what a course is supposed to consist of - minimal singletrack, mostly 5m wide sections of grass and dirt, lots of tight turns, and some good running sections. Some of the courses later this season, like Steilacoom (where the Rad Racing GP was held) will fit that criteria - the first race of the series at Evergreen High School did meet the rules as far as I know. It is just an excuse, though - you gotta deal with whatever the course throws at you.

As to the race, I did fine, considering. Didn't get lapped, and didn't come in last. My lap times were about one minute slower that the winner, my team mate Chip, which actually mirrors all of my performances at SeaTac so far this season. I enjoyed the huge sand pit, and managed to ride it for three of the five laps (but man was my heart pounding harder than it should have been).

Here's a few pictures taken by Bree, who was able to enjoy spectating without having to also be a mom (Emy stayed with Bree's parents for the night and had a great time):

The start led to a run up, downhill, then runup,
and since I was not near the front,
it was faster to just keep running in-between the hills


See? I was actually ahead of a few riders!

Bree said she saw some not so great barrier technique during the race,
probably owing to there being three barriers.
But, she said I had no such trouble.


Ah, the finish line. I managed to sprint past the pink (Vanilla Speedvagen!) singlespeeder just before we got to the line. Of course, we aren't in the "same race" so it does not matter. But it helped my pride a little bit.

No comments: