11.26.2008

Good Books!

I've been reading a lot, like I planned a while back. So far I've gotten through:

The Bookseller of Kabul
- Asne Seierstad - awesome inside look at life in Afghanistan before and right after the destruction of the Taliban's control

My Name is Red - Orhan Pamuk - beatifully written, and complex mystery. I definitely get why he won the Nobel

The Fifth Child - Doris Lessing - creepy and foreboding, this book is hard to get out of your mind for days. Another obvious Nobel writer.

and I am currently reading

The Bottom Billion: Why the Poorest Countries Are Failing and What Can Be Done about It - Paul Collier

I've got a few more general Economics and Global Poverty books to come from the library (Jeffrey Sachs, Joseph Stiglitz, Charles Wheelan), since I'm finding the subject area even more fascinating than the past few months' reading into Environmental Economics and Sustainable Development. Initially those areas seemed like a great tie into my Geophysics background, but are actually quite different and just have not grabbed me as much.

My father-in-law says I am a wonk. He claims it is a positive term.

No comments: