7.25.2005

I goaded Bree into starting a blog, and so, I suppose I should follow suit. Today feels like the right time to reflect upon the recent Tour de Lance...

Predictable and boring should not be the words that best describe the "world's greatest sporting event", but these are the words that come to mind when reflecting on the last three weeks. Yes, it is a great feat for LA to break his own record and achieve what will likely not ever be seen again, a least in my lifetime - seven consecutive wins. But, we already knew he would stand on top of the final podium the moment he passed Jan in the opening time trial. I'm glad he's retired. My viewership of the Tour has been a constant event, since I was 15 years old in my best friend Allen's basement (Greg Lemond won that year, and like Lance almost did this year, Greg didn't win a single stage). As a lifelong cycling fan, and an occasional participant, I can only say I am relieved that next year's Tour will be without Lance. The battle between Jan and Ivan, and who knows else, will provide for much greater entertainment, and better filler between OLN's terrible commercials (for which the mute button was designed).

I promise my blogs won't all be rants. And, I promise to say something about Karl Rove, so I look like I know about current events :-)

- fishdaddyo

1 comment:

Bree said...

Hey - you stole my subject for the day! How am I supposed to compete with this. :-P