2.15.2008

All Better - Training Resumes

I've finally beaten the cold out of my system. I did manage to start riding again on Wednesday last week, and did the A-team ride on Saturday. The ride went well, despite a total of 5 flats (five different riders, myself included). I was really "limited" on the ride by my heart rate. Any time I got up to about 160 bpm, the legs would scream and not really allow me to go any harder. I was actually quite fine with my body being self-limiting, as my mind is not as good at this and would have no doubt sent me backward in wellness. So, on the hills I would be slow, and on the flats I would be fine.

On Sunday I went for my first ever ride with my Zune (gift from work - no, I didn't buy one!) and it was awful. The ride was great, but riding with an audio device is annoying to say the least. I'm sure I just need new headphones, since the main problem was them falling out, and me constantly needing to adjust after I twisted my head to check at intersections. I'm going to try it again today for my post-work ride, but with a headband to hold the thingies in the ears.

I did two intervals rides this week targetting different goals. On Tuesday I did five 1 minute intervals on the flats at a high cadence (90-100) at 160 bpm and then five 3 min intervals on a 5% gradient hill, again at ~160 bpm (midpoint of zone 3). Wednesday I had a fun field trip with Emy's class to a children's film festival, and got in a 20 min run in the afternoon. Yesterday I did a 15 min TT simulation interval at a low cadence (40-50 rpm) and ~160 bpm, then a 15 min rest, followed by another 10 min interval of the same, but finishing with the 53x13 and a cadence of 30-40 rpm. Since the first TT of the year is a week from Sunday, yesterday was probably the last chance to get in some power TT training. Today will be an easy spin, and tomorrow will be a long ride. Our team is doing team photos, but it's not at a good time with the busy weekend we have coming up (Grandma Jane is coming to town tomorrow, and Sunday we are heading to Tacoma to visit Bree's parents), so I have to skip the photos in order to get in my long ride.

After some back and forth with BikeTiresDirect, I got my new aerobars for the TT. I'll try to take a picture of the bike decked out. I don't have the $$$ for a disc wheel, or even an aero front wheel, at least for this upcoming TT. However, Bree made me a sweet helmet cover that should reduce drag for my head. I'm scanning eBay daily for any good wheel deals, but the aerobars might be as aero as I get for now.

No comments: