2.18.2008

Living Under a Rock?

So, Bree and I got out to a movie tonight thanks to Grandma Jane providing some babysitting. We opted for "There Will Be Blood" since it has gotten good reviews, and Bree said, "Yeah, we should see it." So, we headed over to Redmond Town Center, enjoying some of the wonderful sunshine and 58 F temp. We saw the price of movies has gone up a bit since the last time we hit a theatre. I'm pretty sure I paid around $7.50 for a movie last summer, but somehow while I was living under a rock the price went up to $9.50 (unless you are a senior, and then you only have to pay $7.50). $19 for the two of us seems a bit ridiculous given that we pay just under that for a month of Netflix. I can bet it will be another year before we go to the movie theatre again, so I expect it will be more like $12 a person by then! Sheesh! Anyway, I guess we resigned to hopefully get our money's worth.

The movie is excellent. I can't say I liked any of the characters, but I never once looked at my watch, and was always anxious for what would come next. Daniel Day-Lewis was incredible. I will never be able to imagine anyone else when I picture an oil-tycoon. You should go see it, but be prepared for some shocking scenes. Bree and I particularly enjoyed the dynamic relationship between money and religion, particularly the mild form of religious extremism portrayed in the film (OK, charlatan-style early 20th century evangelical religion in particular).

I guess the experience was worth $19, but we won't make a habit of it.

I had some great training on the weekend, as well as a great birthday celebation for Bree in Tacoma with the Norlanders, my mother, and us. I watched the coverage of the Tour of California on Versus, which sucked (an hour of human-interest crap, and an hour of highly-edited coverage of the prologue - why does Versus think those of us watching the race don't want to see people actually ride their bikes? Instead they show us riders leaving the start house, and then crossing the finish line. Lame!).

No comments: