2.05.2008

Epidemic Presenteeism in the Workplace

My mother in law informed me of the term presenteeism (I may have invented a spelling for it, though) - people who are sick, but go to work since "there's so much work to do and they have to be there!" I have fallen victim to this presenteeism twice in the last two months, and so I implore the workers of the world - do not go to work if you are sick! I'm guessing there's plenty of impetus for a research study here:

What is the cost to the corporation for losing one sick employee for a day vs. the cost of that person working and spreading their illness to other workers?

Actually, I'm pretty confident we don't need a study to indicate that the cost of the single sick employee staying home is far lower than the cost of several sick employees staying home! And, if said employees go to work, infecting others there's no benefit - plus, I don't know about you, but I'm not too productive at work when I am sick. The most I can usually manage is responding to email.

No, putting a sign on your door that you are "sick" doesn't cut it, unless you absolutely, positively promise to never leave your office, and you cover your air vent.

So, I'm home sick today. For all I know I will be sick tomorrow too. Normally, I would still train while a little bit sick, so hopefully that means I only miss today's session (running).

For posterity, here's a recap of January 2008's training:

Bicycle
Time: 40:00:00 (exactly - that's crazy)
Distance: 669.9 miles (1080 km for my one non-US visitor)
Longest Ride: 61.7 miles (99.5 km), 3:58:00 (the hill ride below)
Rest: 4 days of nothing

Running
Time: 90 min.
Distance: 11 miles
Longest Run: 3.5 miles, 30 min.

For February, I plan to get the weekly average closer to 12-15 hours per week, and get that longest ride to at least 80 miles. We got the new uniforms too, but I'm too tired and lazy today to model them...soon, I promise.

No comments: